On This Morning!
Debtwizard Facebook Debtwizard Twitter
Call 0800 197 8433 (Mon to Fri 8am-9pm, Sat 9am-3pm)
Mobiles cheaper on 0207 785 1110
Free, simple debt solutions & free debt advice

Am I responsible for my partner’s debts?

Page last updated Friday, 30 March 2012

It is surprising how many times I get asked this question!

If someone has debts in their name only then they are the only one that is responsible for it.  For debts that are in joint names, then in the event that one person cannot pay then the other named person is responsible for the full amount outstanding. It is not split 50-50 just because it is joint names.

This is not the case with credit or store card debts because they are in one name only, so any additional cardholder is not responsible for the payments.

When someone cannot pay back their unsecured debts, lenders can take action to secure their debts on a borrower’s assets, such as a house. They can also apply for a County Court judgement and then ask the court to enforce repayment. Bailiffs can then be sent into the home or an order made for an attachment of earnings, meaning that payment can be taken from your salary before it goes into your bank.

Also the credit file of both persons could be affected because of the link on the address of one person having debts.

You and your partner will be linked together if you have any financial connection, such as the rental agreement or mortgage in joint names or even a joint loan. If you have a partner who has debt problems then you may wish to disassociate yourself from their credit file. You can do this by writing to any of the main credit reference agencies. See below.

Disassociation - what is this?

If there is financial information on your file about people in your family with whom you have no financial connection, or people who have never been part of your family, you can write to the agency in question asking them to disassociate yourself from them. The agency may wish to make some enquiries or checks to make sure that you are not just trying to avoid a bad credit record.

Unless the agency has a good reason to doubt what you tell them, it must not continue to give lenders information about the other people that you have mentioned. You need only write to the agency that supplied you with your file, since disassociation information will be shared between the other main agencies.

More importantly though, how about getting some support for your loved one and start to help manage the debts. Once under control this may well improve matters and remove the risk of bailiffs calling. We have a list of helpful organisations that can assist for free, they include the debt charities.

Fee- free debt advice organisations

Speak your mind


Your comment will be moderated before it shows up.

DebtWizard (Guest) Saturday, 13 September 2014

Hello Isabel

What may be best is for you to post on our forum as you will be able to use this as a reference and engage other panel members. Can you copy and paste your question there please?

If you are already a member of the website then just choose a nickname and post away.

If not a member of the website then just sign up as a member, we will send a link immediately to confirm you who you say you are and ask you to click on that link to make a connection between us. If no email received then please check your spam or junk box. When in the forum choose a nickname, no one will see your email address just your alias. Then on subsequent visits you only have to log in to post on the forum.

Once you post then just make sure you click the box under the text box to notify you there is a new posting on your particular thread. There will be plenty of people that can help you with any query including those members of the panel.

You can read more about the DebtWizard Forum and meet the panel members here http://www.debtwizard.com/forum/about


Isabel (Guest) Friday, 12 September 2014

Am I liable to pay a council tax debt if my husband dies and it was his name only on the missive for our rented property ?

Debtwizard Monday, 13 January 2014


Any chance you can copy and paste your query into the forum section of the website as we are unable to go into detail here.

The link for the forum is at the top of every page. To be a member just sign up with your email address and password, then activate the link we send you (check your spam or junk folder if no email). Then go to the forum and chose a nickname. We have experts there that can help you.

Best wishes, Mike

guest (Guest) Monday, 13 January 2014

can i be held responcable for my partners finances befor i move in with her.

Debtwizard Monday, 12 August 2013


Are you able to copy and paste your query into the forum section of the website as we are unable to go into detail here.

The link for the forum is at the top of every page. To be a member just sign up with your email address and password, then activate the link we send you. Then go to the forum and chose a nickname. We have experts there that can help you.

Best wishes, Mike

(Guest) Monday, 12 August 2013

my partners ex wife has a debt managment programme and seem to be no for him to get name of mortgage he lives with me he can see no way forward or way out this his ex has been dragging this out for 4 years, hes at the end of his tether with is all, and slowly losing my temper, any help PS im was not the cause of their breakup

Debtwizard Saturday, 16 February 2013

hello Becky

Are you able to copy and paste your query into the forum section of the website as we are unable to go into detail here.

The link for the forum is at the top of every page. To be a member just sign up with your email address and password, then activate the link we send you. Then go to the forum and chose a nickname. We have experts there that can help you.

Best wishes, Mike

Becky (Guest) Saturday, 16 February 2013

When my partner (now ex) moved in with me he had accrued debts which I was unaware of. When we split up his debts were huge. We haven't been together for over a year now but I am still getting bailiff notices, court orders and general red letters for him. I have tried to talk to him but and got a barrage of abuse, I have contacted the chasing companies etc but I just don't know what to do about it
Please could you give me some advice as I don't want to be liable for anything of his
Many thanks

Jean (Guest) Sunday, 04 November 2012

Hi Mike will do thank you for the help :-)

Debtwizard (Guest) Sunday, 04 November 2012

Hello Jean

Why don't you copy and paste your query on my forum, just look at the top of every page for the forum link.

We have experts that will help you there. Unfortunately we cannot go into answers on this part of the article.

Best wishes

Jean (Guest) Sunday, 04 November 2012

My partner and I have been together almost 5 years living together for 2, before he moved in we took advice and were told that I would not be considered libel for any debt he brought into the relationship (then around £20k).

However he still hasn't made any payments as he was advised to declare himself bankrupt and we have never been able to put the money together to pay for it - I am worried that his creditors could now hold me libel for the interest incurred on the debts since he has lived with me.

He moved in with me and the tenancy is in my name only although the landlord (local council) is aware of his residence in the property, all the bills are in my name and as I am disabled and he my full time care giver all the benefit payments are paid into my bank account and I control the finances.

Can I be held libel for his debts? (either in total or at least the interest accrued since we lived together) even though they are not in my name and were accrued before we met?

Debtwizard (Guest) Thursday, 11 October 2012

Dear missy12

Would you be able to copy and post your query in the DebtWizard forum as I have carefully selected panel of five experts in the industry that will help you, as well as me!

If you are already a member then all you need to do is log in as normal, go to the link top right of page 'forum' or go to www.debtwizard.com/forum and then choose a nickname. Then select ‘new topic’

If not then ‘sign up’ under the link top left on home page.

You can copy and paste your question there; I am often on the forum and will be monitoring it. I will also help you plan a way forward!

Best wishes


Missy12 (Guest) Thursday, 11 October 2012

I've been married for 8 yrs, everything was put in my name as my husband was deeply in debt with the CSA, he has now walked away because I am ill. Our council home is in my name as he didn't want to risk the tenancy again with the CSA.
I have been left with arrears in water rates,rent,council tax and many more. Is there anything I can do to retrieve some of the debts from him? If not, what can I do??? I've had to go on disability benefits as he hasn't given me a penny. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Debtwizard Monday, 08 October 2012

Hello Katie28

Why don't you copy and paste your comment in the forum, we will then be able to help and advise you there. I already have several ideas, unfortunately this section of the website is only for comments.

See the top of every page for the forum link.


katie28 (Guest) Friday, 05 October 2012

i have just got married and am reluctant to change my name or have a joint bank account because of my husbands previous debts. I already get letters for his debts at my address (which is rented) this is bad enough. It took my 5 years to clear my own debt so really do not want to be saddled with more, especially debt that is not even mine.

A friend of mine is about to loose her home for debt aquired by her ex husband after they had seperated. Even though I do not own my own home, I have worked hard to clear my debt and my house is nice I do not want to loose my stuff, my car etc

my husband wants me to change my name, i dont want to refuse him so my question is, does his debt prior to marriage become mine

Debtwizard Thursday, 10 May 2012


Why don't you post on our forum? See link at the top of every page. Just sign up to the website, choose a nickname and then post under your nickname, no one will know you. Unfortunately this is not the section of the website where we post answers to queries.

Best wishes, Mike

WelshTina (Guest) Wednesday, 09 May 2012

MY partner is being pursued for debt incurred from a previous marriage, the bailiff has been in touch to say if payment is not made they are coming to the house to remove goods to the value of. Nothing in the house belongs to him, can the bailiff still take goods? I do not have receipts for the things in the house as I have owned them for sometime. I am scared they will take my things to pay for his & his exwifes debt & I be left loosing out. Can you advise as they say they are going to come this weekend if payment is not made by Friday 11/05/2012?

antonetteB Tuesday, 17 April 2012

If you were married to her, then, you are also responsible with her debts too.

hi (Guest) Saturday, 07 April 2012

i need addvice my ex husband and i split up about three years ago and he left me and my daughter with rent arreas for over a thousand pound.it went to court and i have to pay three pound twenty five pence a week but they arnt chaseing my ex partner for his share of the rent as we were on joint tenacy and me and my daughter struggle with the debt he left behinde i had to go bankrupt.but couldint put the rent arreas in as i would of lost my home which is all me and my daughter have left what addvice could you give me and is my ex resposable for the other half of the debt and how can i get him to pay his half?

Debtwizard (Guest) Sunday, 01 April 2012

Hello Megimoo.

We can help you but you will need to go to the forum, see link at the top of everypage, just go to 'sign up', enter email address and password, look for our confirmation email, if you can't find one then check your 'junk or spam' box, once located then click to confirm you sent the email to us, then choose nickname and post your query.

We have lots of members that will help you, plus me as well! Mike

Megimoo (Guest) Friday, 30 March 2012

my husband will have a failed iva( due to me). We both work and the impression is he will be declared bankrupt.Can anyone advise as we both work(him full tome and me part time) as to what we will have to pay? We rent ourn home and own 2 Cars ( 12 yrs and 15 yrs) which we need for our jobs and have a dependant child, Any advice appreciated, Thanks


For no nonsense advice just submit the short form and Mike or one of his team will get back to you.

Unsecured debt

--Debt Amount--

Home owner

Yes No

No. of creditors


Current payments

£0 - £25

Affordable payments

£0 - £25



Email Address

Phone Number


Yes No Can we leave a voicemail

Yes No Can we contact you via SMS

Yes No Can we contact you via email

Best time to call


Please note: If you continue you are agreeing to our privacy policy, available here.